Frequently asked questions.

Open AllClose All

How can I obtain a copy of my accident report?
You may stop by the police department between 8am-4am Monday through Friday. Be sure to have either the date of the accident or the blotter number handy for the clerk to locate the report.

When will my accident report be ready?
We attempt to have all police accident reports ready within 7 -10 business days of the accident date. However, occasionally there are unforeseen problems with the report and or other correction problems.

How can I obtain a copy of other police reports?
You may file a Freedom of Information Law (FOIL) request. The law allows the town to take up to five(5)days to respond to a request of records. If you have further questions you can contact the Town Clerk at 845-294-6250 ext. 1222.

Must the police be called to every motor vehicle accident?
The police must take an official accident report if any person involved in the accident is injured in the accident by N.Y. State law. Our agency does generally take a full report even if there are no injuries in most circumstances.

The driver of any vehicle must also report an accident to DMV of any accident causing a fatality, personal injury, or damage to either vehicle over $1000.00 on a “civilian accident report form” (MV-104) which may be picked up at any police agency or DMV. This report must be completed and mailed to DMV within 10 days of the accident.

Where and when can I get fingerprinted for a permit or employment?
Please visit the Orange County Sheriff's Office for fingerprinting or call (845)291-4033 for more information.

Does the Police Department take reports over the telephone?
No. If the incident took place anywhere in the Town of Goshen we can take a report from you in person. You may stop by the station or we can respond to your residence.

If you reside outside our jurisdiction we may ask you to respond to the station to complete the report.

What is the difference between a blotter entry and a case report?
Every call that requires police service receives a blotter entry. This records the caller’s name, address, telephone number, address where the service is requested, the date, time and officer(s) that responded. A brief narrative of what the call was about is also recorded by the dispatcher and/or the officer that responded to the call.

Only calls that need extra police investigation receive a case report. The officerwill complete this when he returns from patrol including details of the investigation.

Do I really need to report minor incidents, such as a stolen item from my car or property?
Yes. Even though the item stolen or the incident may be minor the Police need to know about all crimes in order to adjust their patrols and their staffing levels. Most times it will only take about 15 –20 minutes of your time to complete a report.

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.

How do I obtain a handicap parking permit?
Handicap parking permits may be obtained at the Town Clerks Office located in Town Hall between 9am-5pm Monday through Friday. You must be a Town of Goshen resident and bring you your driver's license, doctor’s prescription or NYS handicap permit form signed by your doctor.

What should I do if my license plate was stolen/lost, or my license was stolen/lost?
Upon finding anything lost/stolen, report the loss immediately to the local police agency. If the theft occurred in the Town of Goshen, contact us immediately. We will issue a form to bring to DMV to receive your replacement plates or license.

If the theft occurred outside the Town of Goshen, the police agency in that area will issue the necessary forms.

What months are the overnight parking rules in effect?
In the Town of Goshen overnight parking is prohibited on all roads starting November 1 through April 1 of the succeeding year.

How do I make a complaint regarding Town code, or building code?
Call the Town of Goshen building inspector at 845-294-6430 ext. 1227. If it is an emergency and the building inspector's office is closed you may contact the police department at 845-294-9555.

What do I do if I get a ticket, a uniform traffic ticket or a parking ticket?
A uniform traffic ticket is generally the ticket you receive when you are stopped by the police while driving your vehicle. You may answer the ticket by pleading guilty or not guilty after reading the entire back of the ticket. Send it to the court address located at the bottom of the front of the ticket. You do not need to appear in court if you answer the ticket in a timely fashion. You will be notified by the court of your trial date if you plead not guilty or your fine if you plead guilty.

You may also appear in person to answer the charge by appearing in court on the date specified at the bottom of the front of the ticket. Note: the date that is on the bottom of the ticket is not the trial date; the officer may not be there. That date is only to plead guilty or not guilty, which you could have done by mail. A trial date will be set by the judge at this time.

Parking tickets are similar to uniform traffic tickets. The instructions on how to plea are on the front of the ticket. After reading the entire front of the ticket, check off at the bottom, guilty or not guilty, fill in your name and address, sign and mail it with the enclosed envelope.

Do not send cash. Send only personal checks or money orders.

Do you accept traffic fines?
The police department does not accept fines. Please contact the Town of Goshen Court at 845-294-6477.

Can I make a complaint regarding someone committing a vehicle and traffic offense?
Yes. However you cannot sign a formal complaint against someone who commits a traffic offense. You may make a complaint about a specific person or vehicle, or a pattern of traffic offenses committed at a specific location, such as speeding on a specific street. Our supervisory staff will determine whether or not enforcement is required in that area based on the number of complaints received among other things.

If you make a complaint about a specific person or vehicle, usually a blotter entry will be made and passed on to the supervisor of the shift

What happens to a person upon arrest?
Upon arrest a person is transported to the police station and processed. This includes, obtaining their pedigree, photo and fingerprints. The desk officer will then determine if the person needs to be arraigned before a judge or released and given an appearance ticket to return to court at a later date.

If arraigned by a judge and he orders bail, the bail for the arrested subject may be posted at the Orange County Jail in Goshen, N.Y.

Do we safe keep weapons?
Yes, with restrictions though. Contact the Police Department for additional information 845-295-9555.

How do I find out if the schools were closed due to inclement weather?
Please visit the website of the school your child attends or listen to your local radio station for school closing information.

When do I call 911 versus calling the 7 digit police number, 294-9555?
The only time you should be dialing 911 is in the event of a true police, fire or medical emergency. By refraining from calling 911 you leave the line open for actual emergencies.